Wednesday, June 23, 2010

So the countdown begins..

I hope this will be me sometime in the near future..
Today my friend is leaving for the summer program to Turkey through NSLI-Y. I'm very excited for her and she comes back August 8th - she'll be able to tell me all about Turkey before I leave! Just a few nights ago I went over to her house and had a lovely supper with her family and Silvia from Indonesia! We ate mussles, fresh carrots, amazing Indonesian rice that Silvia made, BAKLAVA, and Middle Eastern pancakes with special syrup and almonds. Let's just say that it was the best dinner I've had in a long time. So then as I was driving back from Blue Hill (after my mom told me to drive safely probably 50 times..and that's not an exaggeration) I was about 3 minutes away from home, with my windows down blasting my music because I think I'm sooo cool (not really, but its fun) when this HUGE moose comes running in front of my car! Luckily I have super fast reflexes due to the vast amount of nintendo gaming I've experienced over the years..much thanks to my brother! So I completely stopped and just stared at the moose who was just standing in front of my car. I thought to myself "The last thing I need to do before I go to Turkey is get killed!" And eventually it ran off into the woods like it didn't threaten my life or anything..Ahh maybe my blog should be named "Summer Adventures" instead..HAH. Okay well I've been trying to find out more information about my upcoming trip, and from what I've heard we aren't going to be living in Ankara or Adana. I've also heard that we will probably be leaving around August 20th because apparently our orientation in New York is August 21st. So with that being said, the countdown till August 20th BEGINS! Also, my Turkish translator/phrasebook just came in the mail! It's wonderful and has handy flashcards too! There are just so many things for me to do between working and applying to colleges (Bryn Mawr!). In ways I want the summer to go by fast so that I can finally be in Turkey, yet I need more time to get everything done! Hopefully everything will work out. inşallah = hopefully - as you can see it has the name "allah" in it (Muslim God). It basically means "If God is willing". I picked that up the other day and thought that was pretty cool. Okay enough talking "konuşma" - here are some lovely pictures:

Turkish Flower = çiçek :)

That's Coral and I! Basically sums up how I feel about going to Turkey!


No comments:

Post a Comment